Pets As Therapy - Read 2 Dogs Scheme
We are delighted to inform you that we have registered for the Pets As Therapy Read 2 Dogs Scheme. We would like to introduce Sheba and her owners Neil and Christine.
Sheba will be visiting Cordwalles on Monday afternoons. These dogs are specially registered dogs who normally visit in hospitals, hospices, care homes etc. Sheba will remain on the lead and under control at all times.
The effects of Pets As Therapy dogs in schools has shown a range of benefits including:
- Reducing stress physiologically (Cortisol levels) and increase attachment responses that trigger Oxytocin - a hormone that increases trust in humans.
- Increase in school attendance.
- Gains in confidence.
- Decreases in learner anxiety behaviours resulting in improved learning outcomes, such as increases in reading and writing levels.
- Positive changes towards learning and improved motivation.
- Enhanced relationships with peers and teachers.
- Teaching empathy and appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Development of social skills.
We hope a lot of pupils will be able to benefit over the Summer term from these sessions.
More information can be found below although if you have any specific questions, please do not hesitate to contact the school on 01276 23298.