We are delighted to let you all know that we have registered for the Pets As Therapy Read 2 Dogs Scheme and would like to introduce you to Sheba and her owners Neil and Christine.
Sheba will be visiting Cordwalles on Monday afternoons. These dogs are specially registered dogs who normally visit in hospitals, hospices, care homes etc.
The effects of Pets As Therapy dogs in schools has shown a range of benefits including:
- Reducing stress physiologically (Cortisol levels) and increase attachment responses that trigger Oxytocin - a hormone that increases trust in humans.
- Increase in school attendance.
- Gains in confidence.
- Decreases in learner anxiety behaviours resulting in improved learning outcomes, such as increases in reading and writing levels.
- Positive changes towards learning and improved motivation.
- Enhanced relationships with peers and teachers.
- Teaching empathy and appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Development of social skills.
We hope a lot of pupils will be able to benefit from taking part in the Read 2 Dogs Scheme over the Summer term. More information on Pets As Therapy can be found on our website.